Thursday 20 January 2011

Why crochet?

When I took up crochet, many people asked me "why?". Others told me I needed to get out more.  Clearly they couldn't see the attraction of taking up a craft that they associated with "old ladies".  So for them, here are the reasons why I love to crochet.

Crochet is extremely therapeutic. It is the perfect "fiddler's" hobby that can be done anywhere, and is ideal for people like me who like to do something else while they're slumped in front of the TV.

Unlike reading, you can crochet in company without appearing to be rude.  You can listen to a conversation, contribute and crochet all at the same time, so your hobby doesn't exclude others. 

It's cheap!  You don't need an expensive sewing machine or knitting machine.  All you need is a set of hooks (mine costs £10.00 online) and some wool, access to some patterns or online tutorials, and there you go.

At the end of your project you are left with something.  It may not always be a thing of great beauty to everyone, but it is something you made yourself, and that in itself can give a huge sense of achievement.

It keeps your brain active.  While I'm crocheting I'm always thinking about which colours work together, how to do new stitches, what the finished project will look like, and what my next project will be!  I also sometimes get quite lost in the zone and this gives my brain time to think about day-to-day things that need to be thought about, and which  I don't get time to think about when I'm busy rushing about all day.

You can create something special for somebody else.  Already in my short crochet life, I've made scarves for two friends, two blankets, and I'm half way through making a baby blanket for my neighbour's grandson.  

If these reasons aren't enough, then you only have to look around the internet.  The rise of such marketplaces where you can sell your creations, such as Etsy and Folksy prove to me that home crafts and creativity are still very much alive and as vital today as they were several decades ago.

Finally, it's NOT boring!  If you don't believe me, why not give it a go?

No comments:

Post a Comment